Volunteer to be a part of the Philadelphia Marathon.
We're looking for at least 2,500 volunteers in several key areas for Race Weekend, including the two-day Health & Fitness Expo, the Rothman Institute 8K and Kids Fun Run, the Marathon and Half Marathon.
As a volunteer, you'll have the chance to meet and help more than 30,000 runners and 60,000 spectators who come from every state in the nation and more than 50 countries around the world. If you have a great personality, a strong work ethic, and an interest in having fun, these volunteer opportunities are for you. Plus, all volunteers will receive a free Philadelphia Marathon apparel item!
There is a role for everyone! Sign up with friends, family, co-workers, schools and churches. You can work together and have fun while supporting this Philadelphia tradition. Click here to volunteer.
The Philadelphia Marathon also partners with the Mayor's Office of Sustainability and the Mayor's Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteer Service to create a team of Waste Watchers volunteers who help educate race attendees about recycling and composting while helping the Marathon reach an ambitious goal of 85% waste diversion from landfills. At the race Start/Finish area and water stops, Waste Watchers volunteers help race attendees sort their trash, recycling, and compost into the right containers. Look for the Waste Watchers Start/Finish Area shifts on the volunteer registration page to sign up! If you have any questions about Waste Watchers, please email wastewatchersPHL@gmail.com.
- Volunteers must carry a photo ID with them at all times during their assignment and be prepared to show this to race officials and security personnel, upon request.
- Volunteers must wear their 2017 Philadelphia Marathon volunteer sweatshirt/t-shirt and credential (if provided).
- If at any time during your assignment you have a problem, notify your team captain immediately, who will inform the proper authorities.
- Dress appropriately – casual and for the weather. Wear comfortable shoes.
- Do not bring backpacks, cameras, or other valuables with you to your assignment. The race is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Volunteers are required to obey the "No Smoking" and "No Alcohol" policy for the duration of their assignment.
- Be prepared and flexible for a long day. Reassignments may occur.
- Refreshments will be provided for volunteers checking in at the Health & Fitness Expo or for race events. Volunteers working along the race course should bring a lunch.
- Volunteers working Food and Fluid Distribution at the start, along the course and at the finish line will be given vinyl gloves that must be worn at all times.
- As a volunteer, be prepared to answer many types of questions. Take pride in your role. Familiarize yourself with the course maps and Start/Finish diagrams and all weekend events.